May 30, 2024

Domestic violence is a grave crime. It is the use of any sexual or physical force (threatened or actual) by an ex-partner or partner. Threatening, punching, pushing, stalking, hitting, kicking, and even harassing another individual are crimes.

Having intercourse with someone against that person’s will is a crime, too, and being a spouse does not change this aspect. Any individual committing these particular acts can be charged after being arrested, and they can be convicted and jailed.

What Constitutes Domestic Violence?

    • This offense can include threats to harm family members like kids as well as property and pets.
    • The man in the relationship primarily commits most domestic violence towards the woman. But women might commit domestic violence against men, and this offense occurs in many same-sex relationships too.
    • Domestic violence could be just a one-time use of excessive force. But in most cases, these crimes occur in a pattern.
    • This violence could be intended to intimidate, humiliate, and scare or even to make an individual feel powerless.
  • It may include several acts that may seem insignificant on their own. However, together, they make up a distinct pattern of abuse.
  • Domestic violence can take the form of financial/economic abuse, verbal abuse, and even psychological/emotional abuse.
  • Although these may not always be considered criminal offenses, they can be quite severe forms of abuse.

When to File a Complaint?

If you and/or your kids are experiencing any form of domestic violence, know that you aren’t alone. There are various avenues  for help. If you feel that you or your family is in danger, you should not delay in calling 911.

If you have been sexually/physically assaulted, you should call the police. After getting your approval, they will call VCARS (Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Services). The staff and volunteers of this organization can provide some short-term assistance, like emotional support. They will also offer financial help via their Victim Quick Response Program and will refer you to community agencies.

Community Resources Can Help

If you don’t want to call police officers or if you are a victim of some other form of abuse, there are numerous community resources that you can get help from. Contact people at your community health center or community information center.

They will have information about all available services in your local community that would be able to provide you and your children some help.

If you feel comfortable speaking with your doctor, that’s what you should do. They will treat your injuries and also make a note in your medical files. The records become a form of evidence that you can produce in court to prove that you were a victim of an assault.

Other Things To do

You have the option to contact a local Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Care and Treatment Centre, which are hospital-based centers. These provide excellent care to women, children, and men that are victims of domestic violence.

It’s also crucial that you speak with an experienced lawyer so that you can protect your children and yourself. This step could mean you have to start a case in family court. You would have to ask for a restraining order or other orders relating either to you or your kids.

If you are considering lodging a case in family court, you can speak with a family court support worker. They would provide you the information you need as well as help with safety planning, referrals tospecialized services, information about what process you would need to follow in the family court process, and more.